Developers began to purchase land from the US government.
The four Muggah brothers along with financers from St. Mary Parish developed the Ocean House Hotel.
Plans were made by the four Muggah Brothers, along with the St. Charles Hotel in New Orleans, to begin construction for a bigger, more elaborate hotel dubbed the Tradewinds Hotel after the summer season in 1856.
August 10, 1856
The Great Storm
A category 4 hurricane destroyed the entire island, breaking it into four islands — Racoon, Whiskey, Trinity and East.
Protected Wildlife Area
Most of the islands is protected for sea birds and other wildlife.